Mother’s Day is a day celebrated worldwide in honoring motherhood for one day a year. The event is recognized in the United States and Canada on the second Sunday in May or this year May 8, while the special day is celebrated at other times mostly in March and April in different parts of the world.
Many celebrate Mother’s Day with flowers, gifts and cards, and while those thoughts are nice – especially if handmade – mothers really just want to spend time with their families. Flowers die. Pictures fade. Memories are forever.
In today’s busy world, spending a day of fun with your children and spouse seems like a luxury. So if you are struggling to find a unique gift for your mother, why not give her the gift of your time doing something creative or super special, an activity you wouldn’t normally do or an event you have always wanted to go to but never carved out the time. Here are 5 ideas of how to spend time with your mother:
- It’s quite fitting that Game of Thrones just kicked off its 6th season because this event inspires fantasies of kings and queens. The Scarborough Renaissance Festival is running every weekend through to the end of May and has more than 200 handmade craft shops making arts crafts from the early middle ages. For Mother’s Day there is brunch with special entertainment. Along with craft beers, there’s a bakery and pasta palace. The festival is in Waxahachie, about 30 minutes south of Dallas.
- If your mom is a fan of antiques and loves history, consider the Swiss Avenue Historic Mother’s Day Home Tour. It will feature brunch and a tour of lovely historic homes in the Dallas area showcasing architectural diversity. Check out the event’s Facebook Page for a Q&A with some homeowners. Tours run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday May 7, 2016 and from noon to 6 p.m. on May 8, 2016. Tickets cost $20-25. The event includes an art fair, historic car display, children’s play area and entertainment.
- If your mother is a nature lover, considering bringing her to the Texas Discovery Gardens where on Mother’s Day they have a concert and release butterflies. The Women’s Chorus of Dallas ends its season on May 8 with a matinee concert that culminates with the release of butterflies. The event runs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Texas Discovery Gardens at 3601 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Your mother is an artist at heart and she’s always wanted to try her hand at making a glass bowl. Well this Mother’s Day take your mom to Vetro’s Art Gallery for a special glass blowing class. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday May 7, 2016. Learn how to blow colorful, creative glass bowls. Cost is $65 per bowl. The art gallery is at 701 South Main Street, #103 in Grapevine.
- Your mother loves to shop, so why not combine shopping and music with your mother on this special day. Take her to a Dallas Symphony Orchestra mini concert on May 8, 2016 at 1 p.m. at North Park Center in the North Court. The shopping mall is at 8687 North Central Expressway in Dallas.